How to install Solaris over the network from a NetBSD host.
Ideas from here.
This is not for beginners.
Knowledge of NetBSD and Solaris required.
For NetBSD I used version 5.0_STABLE and for Solaris version 10, but those are not important.
In this scenario, much older and newer versions should work the same.
And all this work only to update OBP and reset the ALOM password.
If Solaris complains about "Hardware error or unformatted disk" and exits, use format -e to get a SMI-label on the disk to replace the EFI-label. You usually get this if another OS has been on the destination disk.
- The Solaris install DVD or the .iso file
- NetBSD server (named naushika with IP-address 10.0.1.25 in examples)
- Sun SPARC box (named usiii with IP-address 10.0.1.82 in examples), a Sun Fire V210 with dual UltraSPARC IIIi processor
- Serial terminal
- Enable rarpd, bootparamd, rpcbind, mountd, tftpd and nfsd on naushika
- Create /exports/usiii on naushika
- Mount the Solaris DVD there or configure a vnd pseudo-device with vnconfig -r vnd0 sol-10-u4-ga-sparc-dvd.iso and then mount that there with mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/vnd0a /exports/usiii
- Copy the network boot file: cp /exports/usiii/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot/usr/platform/sun4u/lib/fs/nfs/inetboot /tftpboot/inetboot.Solaris10 (the sun4u depends on the exact model of your Sun hardware)
- Symlink that: ln -s inetboot.Solaris10 0A000152 (the 0A000152 is the converted IP-adress of usiii; if it is not sun4u, it has model appended, like 0A000151.SUN4M, but I'm not sure this always true)
- Prepare the files mentioned below. Use your own MAC-address, IP-addresses and hostnames. Don't forget to restart the relevant daemons.
- Have working DNS or put IP-addressen in config files below.
Now turn on the Sun box and type boot net at the ok prompt.
First, the bootloader (inetboot) will be tftp'd, then the Solaris kernel will be loaded with NFS.
Devices will be probed, network interfaces configured as usual.
Then the normal dialog screens appear, starting with the use of <ESC> instead of <Fn>.
# used by rarpd
# used by bootparamd
usiii root=10.0.1.25:/exports/usiii/Solaris_10/Tools/Boot \
/exports/usiii -alldirs -maproot=root usiii
solaris-netinstall-netbsd / email@example.com / created 2010-1-30 / last update 2013-10-1